© 2018 a project of the UCLA Alan D. Leve Center for Jewish Studies

sephardic@humnet.ucla.edu    310 Royce Hall, Box 957116, Los Angeles, CA 90095-7116

 recent acquisitions 

SAI is delighted to celebrate UCLA Library Special Collection's acquisition of

In 2015, the Sephardic Temple Tifereth Israel (STTI), Los Angeles’ largest Sephardic congregation, generously gifted their archives to UCLA Library Special Collections.  The Archive is comprised of institutional papers, photographs and ephemera from STTI, as well as materials related to the various organizations that merged to create the synagogue in its current form, including Temple Tifereth Israel and Haim Vehesed, as well as the Peace and Progress Society (founded in 1917), La Communidad (founded in 1920), and Sephardic Beth Shalom. As a result, the STTI Archive provides a rich and comprehensive portrait of Sephardic Jewish life in 20th century Los Angeles.

SAI is delighted to celebrate UCLA Library Special Collection's acquisition of

The second acquisition the Sephardic Archive Initiative celebrates is the gift to UCLA Special Collections of the library of Moreno and Dagmar Gabay. The Gabay collection consists of roughly one hundred Hebrew and Ladino-language rare books printed in the 17th, 18th, and 19th centuries in the Jewish printing capitals of Ottoman Izmir (Smyrna), Salonica, and Istanbul (Constantinople), as well as in the Italian cultural centers of Venice and Livorno.

SAI is delighted to celebrate UCLA Library Special Collection's acquisition of

Assembled over the course of Al’s lifetime, the Al Finci Papers includes photographs, legal documents, and various ephemera documenting the history of the Finci/Finzi and Musafia families, Sephardic Jews from Sarajevo.